- Austerity Politics and UK Economic Policy, Palgrave, 2016.
- Globalisation and Ideology in Britain: Neoliberalism, Free Trade and the Global Economy, Manchester University Press, 2011.
- ‘Young People and Employment: Challenging Workfare and Dead-End Jobs’, in Ray Filar (ed.) Resist! Against a Precarious Future, Lawrence & Wishart, 2015.
- ‘The Final Nail in the Coffin: Crisis, Manufacturing Decline, and Why It Matters’, in Jeremy Green, Colin Hay & Peter Taylor-Gooby (eds) The British Growth Crisis, Palgrave, 2015.
- ‘Towards a New Industrial Imaginary for Britain’, in Johnna Montgomerie (ed) Forging Economic Discovery, Goldsmiths PERC, 2015.
- ‘Vote Early and Vote Often: Reinforcing the Unwritten Rule of Representative Democracy’, in Andrew Mycock & Jonathan Tonge (eds) Beyong the Youth Citizenship Commission, Political Studies Association, 2014.
- [with Michael Kenny] ‘Ideology and the Intellectuals’ in Michael Freeden, Lyman Tower Sargent and Marc Stears (eds) The Oxford Handbook of Political Ideologies, Oxford University Press, 2013.
- ‘A Contract Between Generations: Pensions and Saving’ in Clare Coatman, Guy Shrubsole, Ben Little and Shiv Malik (eds) Regeneration, Lawrence and Wishart, 2012.
Click here for more details about my books and chapters.
- ‘Industrial policy change in the post-crisis British economy: policy innovation in an incomplete institutional and ideational environment’, British Journal of Politics and International Relations, 2016, 18(4), 829-847, DOI: 0.1177/1369148116667650.
- ‘The resurrected right and disoriented left: growth model failure and the nascent politics of a transformative narrative’, SPERI Paper #27, 2016. This paper features responses from Rachel Laurence, Steward Wood, Tony Greenham, Adam Leaver and Martin Craig.
- ‘Resurrected right, disorientated left: pre-crisis economics and post-crisis emotions’, Juncture, 2015, 22(3), 235-242, DOI: 10.1111/j.2050-5876.2015.00867.x.
- [with Colin Hay] ‘The Great British ‘rebalancing’ act: the construction and implementation of an economic imperative for exceptional times’, British Journal of Politics and International Relations, 2016, 18(1), 3-25, DOI: 10.1111/1467-856X.12063.
- ‘Austerity, ageing and the financialisation of pensions policy in the UK’, British Politics, 2016, 11(1), 2-25, DOI: 10.1057/bp.2014.19.
- ‘Citizenship in a financialised society: financial inclusion and the state before and after the crash’, Policy and Politics, 2015, 43(4), 509-525, DOI: 10.1332/030557315X14246197892963.
- ‘Quantity over quality: a political economy of ‘active labour market policy’ in the UK’, Policy Studies, 2014, 35(6), 592-610, DOI: 10.1080/01442872.2014.971730.
- ‘Young people and the ageing electorate: breaking the unwritten rule of representative democracy’, Parliamentary Affairs, 2014, 67(3), 708-725, DOI: 10.1093/pa/gss056.
- [with Richard Berry] ‘Better the devil: a response to Gus O’Donnell’s “Better government”‘, The Political Quarterly, 2014, 85(1), DOI: 10.1111/j.1467-923X.2014.12057.x.
- ‘The hyper-Anglicisation of active labour market policy: facilitating and exemplifying a flawed growth model’, SPERI Paper #14, 2014.
- ‘Are we there yet? Growth, rebalancing and the pseudo-recovery’, SPERI Paper #7, 2013.
- [with Clive Gabay] ‘Transnational political action and “global civil society” in practice: the case of Oxfam’, Global Networks, 2009, 9(3), 339-358, DOI: 10.1111/j.1471-0374.2009.00257.x.
- [with Michael Kenny] ‘Andre Gorz: work, time and freedom in the post-industrial economy’, New Political Economy, 2008, 13(4), 463-474, DOI: 10.1080/13563460802436665.
- ‘Labour’s lost youth: young people and the Labour Party’s youth sections’, The Political Quarterly, 2008, 79(3), 366-376, DOI: 10.1111/j.1467-923X.2008.00939.x.
- [with Richard Berry] ‘Ideas, interests and information: conflicting visions of a supranational information society’, Public Policy Research, 2006, 13(2), 119-125, DOI: 10.1111/j.1070-3535.2006.00431.x.
Click here for more details and a full list of my academic papers.
Research reports and think-pieces (selected)
- The Real Deal: Pushing the Parameters of Devolution Deals, SPERI/CLES, 2016.
- The Rising Tide of Gerontocracy, Intergenerational Foundation, 2016.
- Take the long road: pension fund investments and economic stagnation, International Longevity Centre-UK, 2015.
- [with Nigel Stanley] Third time lucky: building a progressive pensions consensus, Trades Union Congress, 2013.
- [with Mark Mason & David Sinclar] Nudge or compel? Can behavioural economics tackle the digital exclusion of older people?, International Longevity Centre-UK, 2013.
- The rise of gerontocracy? Addressing the intergenerational democractic deficit, Intergenerational Foundation, 2012.
- The Retail Distribution Review and small pension pots, International Longevity Centre-UK, 2012.
- [with Valentina Serra] Financial citizenship: rethinking the state’s role in enabling individuals to save, International Longevity Centre-UK/Friends Provident Foundation, 2012.
- [with Sally-Marie Bamford] Long-term care for older people, social productivity and the ‘big society’: the case of dementia, RSA 2020 Public Services Hub, 2012.
- Gradual retirement and pensions policy, International Longevity Centre-UK, 2011.
- Resuscitating retirement saving: how to help today’s young people plan for retirement, International Longevity-Centre-UK, 2011.
- Can older drivers be nudged? How the public and private sectors can influence older drivers’ self-regulation? RAC Foundation, 2011.
- [with Dylan Kneale & David Sinclair] The Spending Review 2010: intergenerational perceptions of fairness, cuts and economic recovery, International Longevity Centre-UK.
- The future of retirement, International Longevity Centre-UK, 2010.
- Public service broadcasting in the digital age, Compass, 2007.
SPERI British Political Economy Briefs
- UK Manufacturing Decline Since the Crisis in Historical Perspective, October 2016.
- [with Tom Hunt, Scott Lavery and Will Vittery] UK Regions and European Structural and Investment Funds, May 2016.
- [with Chris Kirkland, Scott Lavery and Tom Hunt] UK Regions, the European Union and Manufacturing Exports, May 2016.
- [with Andrew Gamble, Colin Hay, Tom Hunt and Tony Payne] Reforming the Treasury, reorienting British capitalism, March 2016.
- [with Tom Hunt and Laura White] Public infrastructure investment and business activity in the English regions, September 2015.
- [with Colin Hay] Has the UK economy been rebalanced? July 2015.
- Conservative support in Northern England at the 2015 general election, June 2015.
- [with Chris Kirkland] The relationship between deprivation and UKIP’s electoral support, April 2015.
- The UK housing market and stamp duty reform, March 2015.
- [with Chris Kirkland] Income tax revenue and economic change in the UK, December 2014.
- The relationship between economic growth and population growth, September 2014.
- [with Laura White] Local authority spending cuts and the 2014 English local elections, July 2014.
- [with Daniel Bailey] The evolution of the UK tax base, June 2014.
- The regional impact of increasing the personal tax allowance, March 2014.
- Sterling depreciation and the UK trade balance, February 2014.
- Pay in manufacturing and finance, January 2014.
Click here for more details about my SPERI briefs.
Click here for a selection of my blog posts.